TRIPAWDS: Home to 10566 Members and 1246 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » FACEBOOK » TWITTER » RANDOM BLOG

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!

The day it all started

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

When Greg and I received the sad news that Gracey had been diagnosed with Bone Cancer (Osteosarcoma, it started in the front left leg), it was the worst day of our lives.

We decided we will fight for as long as we can and will not give up hope. As luck would have it, when we moved into our new house I had to unpack some pamphlets I had kept (yes I love to keep things real hoarder like my Gran). Anyhow, so these were from the dog show we attended earlier this year. And to my surprise I found a pamphlet about an alternative clinic for animals.

www.energetic-panacea.comwho gave us great advise and a treatment plan. But first Gracey had to loose a few kg…

The clinic uses alternative medicine for animal illnesses along with Vet support. Gracey started acupuncture (laser and needle) along with magnetic blanket therapy. Once she got a little stronger and the pain more manageable she started Hydrotherapy. She lost about 2kg – 3kg and we opted for the amputation, by that point it was 3 weeks later and she stopped using the leg.

The op was a huge success she even went home the next day! First ever doggy to do that (we were such proud parents), Gracey hopped out of the surgery as fast as she could – wonder why :O)…

The next few days she just got stronger and stronger, never licked the wound and amazed us every day. The only slight problem was the phantom pain she showed but that also went away after a few days.

It is now 1 month after the surgery and her hair is growing back, the scar is almost gone and she takes us for walkies / runs around the block. Chases the birds and cats and greets everyone at the door. She even started swimming again! She is back to her old self again. The amputation was the best decision we could have made! Now we are looking ahead heads and spirits held high!

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

17 Comments »

1. jakesmom Said,

September 27, 2009@ 7:58 am

That’s wonderful to hear that Gracie is doing so well after her amputation! My Jake is 10 days post-op today… and is getting better and better each day. How old is your Gracie? Jake is 10.

Let us know what kind of alternative treatments she’s been receiving since her surgery? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jake’s Mom

2. Mary Whisenant Said,

September 27, 2009@ 12:33 pm

So glad she is able to run around the block? Our dog had his leg amputated for the same reason back in Feb 09. He used to train with me for the 1/2 marathon. He does love to walk be he can only walk 5 houses up the street and back down.. what are you feeding your dog?

3. admin Said,

September 27, 2009@ 6:04 pm

Sounds like you’ve got the right frame of mind for making the most of life with your three legged friend. Enjoy! We look forward to following Gracey’s adventures. Thanks for joining the Tripawds Blogs community!

4. Emilysmom Said,

September 27, 2009@ 8:20 pm

I’m so glad to hear that Gracey is doing so well! Emily recovered very easily, too, so we both have reason to celebrate. Must be the name, Emily is Emily Grace and often goes by the nickname Gracey!
    Debra

5. jerry Said,

September 27, 2009@ 9:44 pm

Gracey, you rock! We LOVE stories like this!!!

So you must not be American, eh? You said ‘kg’, which is why I’m making that assumption. Where do you live?

6. leandramei Said,

September 27, 2009@ 9:48 pm

Hi there

we are South African’s living in Dubai (UAE) we moved here just about over 1 year ago. Big culture shock but loving it, so much to do and so much to see.

7. leandramei Said,

September 27, 2009@ 9:49 pm

Jip looks like Gracey is a lucky name after all… Is Emily a Rottie?

8. leandramei Said,

September 27, 2009@ 9:49 pm

9. leandramei Said,

September 27, 2009@ 9:54 pm

Hi there Mary, LOL by block I mean 10 houses not such a huge block of houses in our community in Dubai. We are working up to do two blocks, it works out to be about 20min. The weather is still REALLY hot so we can not spend much time outside, but once it is better we will try for longer runs. She runs most of the way so gets tired very fast but we getting there. We take little breaks now and again then she’s off again – like I said there is no stopping her once she gets going. What kind of doggy do you have? Gracey is a 7 year old Labrador Retriever.

10. leandramei Said,

September 27, 2009@ 10:14 pm

Dear Jakes Mom I am so happy Jake is doing well, hang in there! We felt really guilty after the op, but soon realised it was the best thing we could have done. Which leg did you have amputated? Gracey is a 7 year old Golden Labrador Retriever she was diagnosed only a few months after her birthday. She is on multi-vitamins, Aloe Vera juice with Vitamin C (will have to get the proper name), Stride and Hyalun (to help with bone and muscles) then she has acupuncture and magnetic therapy done once a week along with swimming (the swimming is to help her loose a little more weight and to strengthen her muscles). She is on no pain meds but we keep them close for the back legs after swimming, just in case. At the moment we focus on boosting her system so it can fight any CA cells that’s still there. We know it is just a matter of time but the stronger she is the better. Stay positive and let me know how Jake gets on. HUGS

11. jakesmom Said,

September 29, 2009@ 6:49 am

Hi Gracie’s mom,
    Jake had his right front leg amputated… Today is day 11 post-op, but for some reason, Jake seems to be alot more tired than usual today… Of course we are worried.
    I ordered several supplements for him but they won’t arrive until Friday. Whenever you get the chance, let us know the names and sources of all the supplements your Gracie is on. I want to make sure Jake has everything he needs to help him fight any remaining cancer cells in his body, and to help strengthen his remaining legs… I’m so paranoid that his other front leg will also break, and then… well, I don’t even want to think about that…
    Take care,
    Jake’s Mom

12. leandramei Said,

September 29, 2009@ 10:40 am

Dear Mom
    please don’t worry about Jake being a little worn-out now and again. Gracey also has her good days and her bad, they get tired very quickly and seem to get a little frustrated at times but this will get easier. I will get all the exact names of the products that she is on and will email you a list tomorrow. I think any multi vitamin should be good check for high Vitamin C this helps the healing and fighting off the baddies (like with us the Dr gives Vitamin C when we are sick) Take it day by day and when it is a bad day just know that tomorrow will be a better one. We don’t exercise Gracey everyday she also sleeps downstairs as the stairs are just too much right now. We got her a Ruff Wear harness so practical and she looks great in it. This helps us help her with steps and so on. Check out Topdogs the site has amazing items at reasonable prices, I know having a sick child is rather costly – no more Jimmy Choo’s for me :O)

Keep strong and if you ever feel down or worried just email me!

Hugs
    PS Gracey also hated that silly collar but it stops them from licking. Get the Stride meds if you can, will help the other legs get stronger.

13. jakesmom Said,

October 1, 2009@ 11:56 pm

Hi again Gracie’s Mom,

I tried googling the Stride meds you mentioned, but they all seem to be in the UK. Are you located in the UK as well? I’m just wondering if anyone in the states is a distributor for this product… I read the ingredients, and it sounds like a great product!

Jake’s Mom

14. leandramei Said,

October 12, 2009@ 8:01 am

Hi there so sorry I have been out of touch it has been a crazy week at work. We are in the UAE so we get a lot of products from the UK. How is Jake now?? ? Is he feeling more active? Gracey is on Freedom Forever (Aloe Vera + vitamins) juice (it looks like OJ), Hyalun and the Stride. We had her on a multivitamin for 3 months but resting her system now. Will start the latter probably in 1 month time again to ensure the body absorbs all the important vitamins.

Is Jakes wound healing nicely? Gracey’s hair is growing back really fast, except for one spot that still looks very fluffy  but she is as mad as ever! Barks and moans every opportunity she gets, we are walking (hopping) a little further now, probably double the normal route. The first time I took her further she was really excited with the new smells and scenery only to run out of steam about 3 houses from our house LOL but I got her going again and we made it home!

I will load some more pics of her new harness – visit http://www.topdogs.com.au they sell amazing little things for our loved ones. And they deliver all over.

Good luck mom please update me on Jake and give a BIG kiss from Gracey!

15. jakesmom Said,

October 12, 2009@ 3:17 pm

Thanks for the info and the update Gracey! Glad to hear you’re doing well… I find that Jake still doesn’t have much energy to do any walks, at least from one end of our house to the other… then he gets real tired. But he sure doesn’t seem tired when we take him swimming! Thankfully we have a pool so he doesn’t have to go far. He acts like a young puppy again once he gets in and out of the water. Then he basically sleeps for the rest of the day and evening.

I’m going to have to look into getting him a special bootie, since I think his pads might be starting to become sore with all the extra weight. You can read about his progress and see pictures of him at his blog http://jakesjourney.tripawds.com

Jake sends a big doggie kiss to Gracey… all the way from Florida!

Jake’s Mom

16. jakesmom Said,

November 30, 2009@ 4:32 am

Hi Gracie’s Mom,

Haven’t seen any posts on your blog for quite a while and I was wondering how your Gracie was doing… I hope that she is still doing OK!

My sweet golden Jake lost his battle on Nov 9. His cancer had spread to his spine… I miss him so much.

Angel Jake’s Mom

17. leandramei Said,

November 30, 2009@ 8:08 am

I am so sorry to hear!! But please have peace in your heart that little Jake has no more pain and he is better where he is now. Are you ok?

Gracey is good she lost a lot of weight (35kg now:)) but still looks good. We try to go on as normal and keep our spirits high.

Please know that you are in my thoughts, hang in there you gave Jake the best you could and loved him very much.
    Lots of love